Roger Federer has said that he is confident that his six month break from competitive tennis will ultimately help him prolong his career.
The 35 year old has been out of action since he lost to Milos Raonic during the semi-finals at Wimbledon. Earlier in the year he underwent surgery on his left knee and he missed the French Open because of a back injury.
He then announced in July that he needed extensive rehabilitation and would be out of action for the rest of the season.
— Roger Federer (@rogerfederer) December 22, 2016
However, he is due to make his comeback at the Hopman Cup tomorrow and the former world No 1 has said that he is hoping his body is ready again to win him more major titles.
Speaking earlier in the week he said that he thinks the break “could be very beneficial for the future of my tennis career. To have had this six-month layoff, rejuvenated, refreshed, maybe mentally, I needed this rest more than I thought.”
He went on to say that he thinks his body needed more of a rest than he realised and said that he is trying to look at the big picture and hoping it pays off. However, he said that he certainly has no regrets and he feels he has done everything to get his body back in shape.
“It didn’t feel too gruelling, too long, too hard to go through this process. I have actually enjoyed it.”
Federer will be joining up with Swiss teenager Belinda Bencic in Perth having not played at the Hopman Cup in 15 years.
Until May of 2016 he had appeared in 65 consecutive grand slam tournaments and the last time he was absent from one of the four majors was the US Open in 1999.