Andy Murray has said that he is unlikely to play again this season due to ongoing problems with his hip injury.

Murray, who is currently world No 2, last played in the quarterfinals at Wimbledon against Sam Querrey when he was clearly troubled by his injury and lost the match. He was hoping to take part in the US Open this week but ultimately he withdrew due to the hip injury.

It now seems increasingly unlikely that Murray will be able to play in the China Open in the first week of October nor the Shanghai Rolex Masters the following week.

However, he has not completely ruled out an appearance at the Erste Bank Open, which begins on October 23, and he could also participate in the Paribas Masters, which ends on November 6.

Murray updated his fans on the injury with a post on his Facebook page. In the post he confirmed that he won’t be able to take part in Beijing or Shanghai and “most likely, the final two events to finish the season in Vienna and Paris due to my hip injury which has been bothering me the last few months.”

He said that he has been in consultation with a number of leading hip specialists over the last week and that together with his team they have decided that it is the best decision for his long-term future.

He said that while it has been a frustrating year for him, he is “confident after this extended period of rest and rehabilitation that I will be able to reach my best level again and be competing for Grand Slam titles next season.”

He said that he will start next season in Brisbane ahead of the Australian Open and that he is also looking forward to playing in Glasgow later this year against Federer for UNICEF UK and Sunny-sid3up.