Richard Hannon is yet to make up his mind over whether to send Barney Roy to York for next month’s Juddmonte International ahead of his probable participation in the Champion Stakes at Ascot.

He was the runner-up to Churchill in the 2000 Guineas at Newmarket earlier this year and the Godolphin-owned colt took his revenge in the St James’s Palace Stakes at Royal Ascot.

He stepped up to a mile and a quarter for the first time last weekend in the Coral-Eclipse and produced a brilliant performance to be beaten by just a nose by Ulysses after a tussle up the Sandown Hill.

It seems that Barney Roy will be sticking to a mile and a quarter for the foreseeable future and the Juddmonte International on August 23 and the Champion Stakes on October 21 are the two races that are being considered.

Speaking over the weekend Hannon said, “You know the options, it’s York for the Juddmonte then the Champion Stakes or just the Champion Stakes, but we’ll speak to the team. What happened at Sandown was such a shame, but he achieved an awful lot for a horse that got beaten so narrowly. He got the trip, we learned a lot, he gained a lot and lost nothing. We didn’t get a cup, but I’m sure he’ll get many cups in the future.”

He went on to say that the horse is in great condition but that choosing the races for him is not very easy. Hannon said that the Sussex at Goodwood is doubtful and that the horse should be going a mile and a quarter. He praised his performance in the Eclipse and said that it showed that he is one of the best three-year-olds around.

Overall Hannon was optimistic saying, “The future is extremely bright for him this year and next.”