The CEO of AC Milan, Adriano Galliani, has said that the team is still negotiating with Everton over a loan deal for Gerard Deulofeu.

On Friday last week Milan announced that they had signed Deulofeu on their Twitter account but then there were multiple reports saying that Everton officials were furious at the Italian’s side premature announcement.

Milan soon deleted the tweet which resulted in further confusion and speculation until Galliani told Mediaset Premium on Saturday that talks were still going on.

“I am authorised to say that the negotiations for Deulofeu are continuing,” he told Mediaset Premium.

However, when pressed he wouldn’t reveal any further updates on the progress of the talks and just said, “The only thing I can say is that the negotiations continue.”

Last week the Everton manager Ronald Koeman said that he would not prevent Deulofeu from moving having frozen out the player in recent weeks.

Deulofeu, who previously played for Barcelona, has not played in the Premier League since the team lost 3 – 2 to Watford on December 10th. He has featured just 13 times this season and failed to score. He joined from Barcelona in the summer of 2015 on a permanent basis having spent a successful loan spell with the team. Barcelona has the option of a buy-back clause as part of the deal that took the 22 year old to Everton but that wouldn’t prevent any potential move to Milan.

Last week it was reported that AC Milan are unhappy with the loan fee requested by Everton for the player. However, there has been no further comment regarding the issue.

If Deulofeu does make the move he could team up with former Spain under-21 teammate Suso and would likely better suit Vincenzo Montella’s more expansive tactics.