The Bayern Munich CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has dismissed the reports linking the club with Cristiano Ronaldo calling them “completely unfounded” and at the same time said that the rumours “must be consigned to the realms of fantasy”.
Over the weekend there were reports in the Italian publication Gazzetta Dello Sport that Bayern were interested in signing the 32 year old Portugal international from Real Madrid. Were that to happen it would see Ronaldo reunited with his former boss Carlo Ancelotti who coached him at Real Madrid from 2013 to 2015.
Speculation regarding Ronaldo’s future has continued to grow since reports emerged last week that the player is eager to leave Madrid and play in another country rather than deal with what he considers “persecution” in Spain where he has been accused of tax evasion totalling €14.7 million.
However, Bayern Munich were very quick to dismiss reports of a bid for the player and called it the “hoax of the day” on their official website.
Rummenigge, “We’re used to being the subject of intense transfer speculation during transfer windows. Normally we don’t comment on rumours, but in this case, we would like to make our position on Cristiano Ronaldo absolutely clear: This rumour is completely unfounded and must be consigned to the realms of fantasy.”
— FC Bayern English (@FCBayernEN) June 19, 2017
Furthermore, earlier this week Real Madrid President Florentino Perez has said that the club has no wish to sell Ronaldo and that he finds the whole situation very strange. Perez said that he is yet to talk to Ronaldo about the reports but said that he will do so when Ronaldo returns from international duty with Portugal at the Confederations Cup in Russia.
Ronaldo played an important role in Real Madrid’s victory over Bayern Munich in the Champions League last season scoring five goals over two legs in the quarterfinals.