Earlier this week it was reported that PSG are prepared to pay €222 million to sign Neymar, double the world record transfer. Furthermore, on Tuesday night reports emerged in Brazil that Neymar had accepted the club’s offer.
However, Barcelona have said that they are confident that the player is happy where he is and would resist a move.
On the other hand, there was also a report in Diario Sport suggesting that Neymar was “growing uncomfortable” at being second behind Lionel Messi at Barcelona.
Despite this club spokesperson Josep Vives said that the club aren’t worried when asked if there were concerns that Neymar would leave this summer.
“The only thing we care is he keeps being happy here” Vives said at a recent news conference. “He played a magnificent season and he is still one of the best in the world. He is happy in the club and the club is happy with him. He verbalises it and he shows it with his attitude. We are relaxed about that and we only hope next season is better than the last one.” He added that the club is determined to keep “the best players like him, one of our main symbols.”
Furthermore, Barcelona sporting director Robert Fernandez rejected the idea that any team in the world would be willing to pay the clause in order to trigger Neymar’s release.
“That’s not going to happen,” he answered when asked about the possibility of Barcelona without Neymar. “We have not had any offers for any player in our squad and no club will pay the release clause.”
This week Barcelona announced record revenues of €708 million for the 2016-17 financial year, up €13 million beyond projections and €29 million from the year before. The club reported an after-tax profit of €18 million and reduced debt by €24.5 million to €247 million.