The Chelsea striker Diego Costa has released a statement saying that he will not be returning to Stamford Bridge and that he intends to return to his former club Atletico Madrid.

In the statement released on Thursday, Costa said that he hopes the situation will be resolved soon and he continued to push for a move away from Chelsea. At present the player is in his native Brazil and he remains out of contact with Chelsea manager Antonio Conte.

The row between Costa and Chelsea began in June when Conte allegedly told Costa via text message that he had no future at the club.

The statement said, “My destination is already made. I must return to Atletico Madrid. It turns out that there is the impasse that Chelsea does not want to release me. But I believe that this situation will be resolved now on my return to Spain.”

Atletico are not allowed to register new players until January but Costa could theoretically re-join the club this summer and train with them until making his debut in the New Year.

However, Chelsea are adamant that they won’t sell Costa for a knockdown price and are asking for £40 million. Earlier in the summer Atletico made an offer of £26 million.

Earlier in the week Costa told the Daily Mail that he feels he has been treated “like a criminal” by Chelsea and that if the manager there doesn’t want him then he wants to go to Atletico. He said that he has rejected other offers from teams in China and that “If I’m off, I’m going to the club I want to go to, not the club that’s paying the most.”

“I want the deal with Atletico resolved this month. My idea would be to go to Madrid, train there, get in the best physical shape and be ready to fire ahead of the World Cup.”