It seems Giuseppe Rossi may have to wait until next month’s transfer window before he is able to make his Genoa debut due to a bureaucratic situation.

Rossi has completed a medical for the team seven and a half months after he tore his knee ligaments when playing for Celta Vigo. Now he says that he is ready to start training. However, as Celta did not officialise the end of his time with them until July, Rossi may not be permitted to play for another club until the transfer window opens.

Last week Genoa’s general manger Giorgio Perinetti said, “In football, bureaucracy dictates everything, but it’s not a problem, we are presenting Rossi today as one of our players, even if there are a few issues in interpreting his signing. The Spanish federation and Celta Vigo, given that he was only released in July, say that he can only sign a contract from Jan. 3. The paperwork is ready and we’re just waiting to find out when he can sign on.”

As a result it is not clear if Rossi will be able to play against Fiorentina next week. He may also miss games against Benevento and Torino if he is unable to officially sign until the match with Sassuolo on January 6th.

Nonetheless, Rossi insists that he is fit and ready to start whenever he is called upon.

“I’m feeling great,” he said. “It’s been seven and a half months since the operation and I’m training well and, physically, I’m in shape. All I’m lacking is the rhythm of playing in a team and I hope I can start training with the team from tomorrow.”

He said that he is also hoping to prove that he is still good enough to play for Italy despite the team not having qualified for the World Cup.