The Italian Association of Coaches has said that retired player Francesco Totti has withdrawn from a course to earn a preliminary coaching badge due to his commitments as a director of Roma.
Totti, who is 41, had begun studying for his UEFA B coaching badge around two weeks ago; however, he has already withdrawn and allowed his former Roma teammate Simone Perrotta to take his place on the course.

A statement released by the Association said, “Francesco Totti has demonstrated that he is a champion even off the field. Since he was unable to attend the course regularly, and with respect for his colleagues, teachers and the organisers, he has withdrawn.”

The statement went on to wish Totti all the best and expressed hopes that he will be able to continue the course at a later date. “The president of the Region of Lazio’s AIAC, Sergio Roticani, the course leader, Fabio Lozzi, and the state docent for footballing technique and tactics, Biagio Savarese, while disappointed by Totti’s decision, wish to see him back at the school desk again in future.”

Since he started the course last month Totti, who retired from playing last season, has been unable to attend the classes regularly enough to see the course through.

As an example of his busy schedule, last week he was watching AC Milan’s Europa League match against Rijeka before he had to fly to Georgia to play in a charity match. He then had to return to Milan on Sunday to be there for Roma’s 2 – 0 win against AC Milan.

Perrotta had already started studying for the coaching qualification at Italy’s headquarters in Coverciano. Now he will be moving to the course nearer his home in Rome and assuming the place vacated by Totti.