Neymar’s record transfer to Paris Saint-Germain seems to be drawing closer with Barcelona confirming that he was given permission this week to miss training.
Neymar returned to Spain this week after a promotional trip to China. It was widely expected that he would resume training on Wednesday despite the rumours of his move to PSG. He was photographed driving to the training grounds but then the club Tweeted the following, “Neymar Jr hasn’t trained on Wednesday with the permission of the coach.”
A Barcelona spokesperson said that he came into training as expected but then “spoke to his teammates to say goodbye because his intention is to leave the club”. The spokesperson said that “due to the situation” the manager gave him permission not to train.
Wagner Ribeiro, who used to be Neymar’s agent and who still does work for his father’s company N&N Consultancy, confirmed that he is in Paris to work on the final details of the deal with PSG.
On Wednesday Ribeiro Tweeted, “Marvellous Paris, of the Eiffel Tower, of wine, of gastronomy and of FOOTBALL.”
Neymar’s Barcelona contract has a €222 million buyout clause that could make him the most expensive player ever. However, La Liga president Javier Tebas has said that the league will not be accepting the money and promised that they would complain to PSG, to UEFA and to the European Union as he feels there have been breaches of financial fair play.
Last month it was reported that Neymar had already agreed terms on a contract with PSG and earlier this week it was reported that his medical was likely to take place at the end of this week or on Monday. He is expected to earn €30 million a year in wages and his father is set to receive €40 million as part of the deal.